Monday 27 February 2012

Kisses On The Bottom

My fingers press down on the paper

and I watch the ink start to dry

as that number,

fifty-one,

crops up again.

It should bother me - but I'm far past caring now.



Piled-up declarations of love

wrapped up in a thick purple ribbon,

all my loving in a box with a tag,

sent along from me to you.



I thought about sending flowers.

That seemed too cliché and trite,

so instead I wrote you long letters

to be read under calico skies.



What all of this is, is a thank-you,

a way to say how much you mean

to someone who has never met you -

and probably never will.



Still, I'll send you these long love-letters,

and hope that you'll read them and smile.

Perhaps you might even keep them,

and make sure they're never forgotten,

these tattered and faint-scented letters

signed with kisses on the bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment